Creativity is a lot like any muscle or skill. It has to be stretched and exercised in order to grow. Here are a few simple ways of exercising your creativity and that of your kids.
Ideas for exercising your creativity:
- Keep looking for new ideas – you never know where you will find them or where they might lead.
- Keep an open mind. Don’t say “It can’t be done,” “Silly,” or “Impossible.”
- Keep your goals in mind, write them down!
- Keep your mind alert and active.
- Don’t always go it alone. Sharing a problem with someone else may reveal an unexpected solution.
- When your mind says “enough”, take a break and get some fresh air. A walk or other outside physical activity is a great way to take a creative break.
- When you reach a dead end, back up and try a new approach. – don’t just give up!
- Break a problem down to smaller, logical parts. How do you eat an elephant? Bite by bite.
- Write any useful ideas down when inspired and before you forget.
- In the early stages, don’t commit yourself to a single idea – brainstorm as many different solutions as you can. It doesn’t matter how unlikely or far-fetched they are.
How do you exercise your creativity? Please share with us!